Friday, 27 March 2009

quilting time again

Dear Lene,

I'm sure by now you must be thinking that all of my promises that "I'm thinking about quilting" and "I have a few projects in mind" are all a bunch of excuses. But really, I have started up with some quilting projects again, slowly but surely. It must be something about springtime - we started this quilting binge nearly a year ago, and I guess we both get bit by the quilting bug at this time of year.


The first thing I picked up was some handpiecing, blocks that I started last year and then set down. I've made another dozen (more or less) and am going to continue until I run out of the fabrics. Unfortunately, the two solids are from a discontinued fabric line, so I'll just be working with what I've got on hand, and stop when I'm forced to.

What I've really felt inspired to do lately is hand quilting. I have several projects around that have been languishing, some of them for years I'm afraid.


This simple wholecloth quilt is one that I started a couple of months ago. I liked the fabric and thought a simple baby quilt would be a good thing to have finished. Of course, now that I started it, two of my nephews have had baby boys (both in the past month!) and I realized I'd better pull it out and get it done - quickly.


As simple as it is - or rather, maybe because it is so very simple, I'm afraid I find it a little boring to work on. I had planned some more elaborate improvisation in the areas between the leaves, but I feel kind of pressed for time now (with all of these babies arriving) so I'm not sure if I'm going to do more than finish the leaf outline that I started with.

What I'm really wanting to get back to is something that I know won't bore me at all. Its another baby sized quilt, a more elaborate wholecloth in the Welsh style.


All this one needs is the borders quilted and its done. I'm considering the simple leaf quilt as a warm up excercise for this one. Or maybe this will be a treat to myself, a reward once I finish the simpler one.

I'm hoping that your springtime is filled with flowers, when it finally comes to you up north. Your Piney blocks look beautiful! I'm sure I'll get back to my appliqué soon, but for now I seem to be hand quilting again.

love,
Cassie

8 comments:

moiraeknittoo said...

I just want both of you to know that I'm holding the two of you directly responsible for my fat quarter club memberships, the new bookshelf I'm going to have to buy to hold the influx of quilting books, and the explosion of supplies that are rapidly taking over most flat surfaces in my crafting space. It's all quilting supplies, and it's all totally your fault. (thanks! :D)

Seriously though, I'm glad that both of you are picking up the activity on this particular blog. It's good to see both of you posting about your quilting - I learn something new every time. :)

pacalaga said...

Oooh, that gold wholecloth quilt is the one that got me interested in quilting again. Hooray! And also, drat!

Kathleen C. said...

I really like that red abd black block quilt. And your wholecloth quilt is lovely!!! Could you explain what is meant by "Welsh style" please? I've not heard that term.

JoVE said...

I love all of these. And I'd also be keen to see photos of the process of quilting the borders. I find them tricky but I'm a bit of a novice.

Kathie said...

happy to see you posting and Quilting again!!!! LOVE this welsh quilt your working on just beautiful hand quilting.
always enjoy seeing your projects...ahh lets hope its really spring time ....I have had enough of winter this year.
Kathie

Jessica said...

beautiful!

beadlizard said...

You're back! YAY!!! I have a 3-page handwritten letter for you around here somewhere but I misplaced the notebook and have doubts that the letter is legible, anyway -- I'm trying to handwriting again.

That red and black is magical. DH loves the Welsh (he should!). Is there a standard spacing for the distance between the stitching lines in a Welsh quilt? --syl

elizabeth said...

Girl, I've been wondering about you! Happy to know you're okay and your hands have been busy! :o) The quilts are lovely perfect baby gifts.